Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Dreaded Job Search

I've been trying to ignore and postpone the dreaded job search for some time now but as graduation in just a few weeks away it is time to at least begin searching for potential jobs. For IEDP our program does not end with the completion of our coursework, we will all have internships this summer. Yet, those will finish in only a few months time. I don't plan on actively job-seeking until I am on internship but for now I'm trying to get a feel for what is available. One great thing about going to Penn is that you have access to career services for your lifetime. They have great resources and can help you searching for internships or even connecting with alumni in your field of interest. They even have a webpage for individuals seeking international job opportunities.

I've also been checking the career pages of some of the organizations Penn IEDP partners with in sending people for internship. These include:

World Vision
UNESCO
UNICEF
Room to Read
RTI
Save the Children
Care
Agah Khan Foundation

Each of these organizations posts available vacancies, which have helped me to better understand positions that are out there that I might qualify for. In many career fields, especially international development, is it often who you know more than what you know. So I have been looking at some of the resources career services has for learning to network. Networking while on internship will be a vital place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment