Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What happens to Philly in the snow?

I'm a Midwestern girl so I'm used to snow. I remember one year having to go outside Christmas morning and shovel 8-10 inches from the drive-way before my relatives showed up. They all made it, no big deal. While I was home over break we had several days of snow, temperatures of -20... but life kept moving.

Well everyone... Philly is not that way! Now, granted, I have not attempted to drive today so maybe things actually are worse than they appear to be when you look at the streets. As I looked out my front window this afternoon the road only had about an inch of snow on it but cars were slipping and sliding. One Semi took 20 mins to drag himself up the tiny hill infront of my apartment. Whatever the case, the whole city basically closed early. Penn canceled classes at 2 pm today and most evening activities were cancelled. Philadelphia news reports there was "chaos on roads" and massive delays on public transportation and highways. All the city workers left work early, creating even more delays. Some cases it was up to an hour.

Philly schools are already closed for tomorrow and I'm betting Penn will cancel as well. In my 4 years of undergrad I never had classes canceled for snow even once... interesting. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!
Chaos on roads, highways and transit lines caused massive delays and traffic jams as the region's third snowstorm of the season continued to intensify into the late afternoon.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Number_of_school_districts_will_close_early.html#rzit7jXSr96h7oU0.99
Chaos on roads, highways and transit lines caused massive delays and traffic jams as the region's third snowstorm of the season continued to intensify into the late afternoon.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Number_of_school_districts_will_close_early.html#rzit7jXSr96h7oU0.99
Chaos on roads, highways and transit lines caused massive delays and traffic jams as the region's third snowstorm of the season continued to intensify into the late afternoon.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Number_of_school_districts_will_close_early.html#rzit7jXSr96h7oU0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment