Friday, January 24, 2014

How many courses should I take?

I've been getting this question from a lot of prospective students. A majority of programs at GSE require 10 courses, since the maximum course load is 5 courses a semester a lot of students finish their degree in 2 semesters. Some programs however recommend taking a longer time to finish. This allows students to spend more time getting to know their cohort and professors and not feel so overwhelmed. So what should you do??

Well I think that just depends on you. Some people are better at managing their time, workload and stress than others are. If you are a person who doesn't deal well with lots of things going on at once then I would NOT recommend taking 5 courses! You know yourself and what you are able to take on so use this when trying to make a decision.

Also, consider what other activities you are or want to be involved in other than your classes. Do you have a job? a family or significant other? do you want to be involved in clubs or doing research projects? Each of these things takes time away from your schoolwork. I can tell you that for me personally taking 5 classes takes up pretty much all my time. I have time for socializing yes but most Friday and Saturday nights are spent reading my books. I couldn't really imagine having a job on top of all my courses. That's just me.

Finally, consider the workload of the courses you are taking. My courses this semester are much more project oriented than last semester so I expect they will take up a lot more of my time. Depending on the courses you are enrolled in it may be easier or more difficult to take 5 at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment