Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Something great about going to Penn is that there is flexibility to take courses all over the Penn campus not just within GSE. This semester I am taking two courses outside GSE. One is through the Fels Institute of Government called Leading Nonprofits. The other is through the Sociology department it's called Contemporary Issues in African Societies. While Education still remains my primary focus, I love being able to pursue other interests I have and in doing so I think it will make me more effective and marketable in the future.

The African Societies class has been fantastic so far. It is taught by a Nigerian woman and has looked at Africa from just before Colonialism to the present day. We read books mostly written by Africans and discuss the policies and practices which have led to the continent's current underdevelopment. I have been amazed to see how closely it relates to the classes I'm taking in GSE for the International Educational Development Program. It's refreshing to having classes where the professors don't simply take the prominent, Western view on everything but look at things from multiple angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment