Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving- Break??

Thanksgiving "break" is coming up in a few days. I'll be flying home to Missouri on Wednesday morning and I am really looking forward to spending time with my family for the holiday. Still, I put the work break in quotation marks because I don't think I will actually be able to enjoy much of a rest from school. With Thanksgiving coming so late this year when we come back to school it will be Dec 1! There are only a few weeks left in the semester and everyone is starting to feel the pinch. I can say this is the first time I'm really starting to get stressed (not bad, I made it 3 months!)

A lot of people have been asking me how long I am taking to finish my program. IEDP requires 10 CUs (courses) to graduate. 5 courses a semester is the maximum a graduate student can take so it is possible to finish the degree in 2 semesters. However, a lot of people will tell you that they don't recommend taking 5 courses in a semester because it is too difficult. I have actually not been too overwhelmed though. Yes, taking 5 graduate level courses at once is a lot of work. There is A LOT of reading and several significant papers. I do not find it to be unmanageable though. It really depends on how well you do at managing your time and handling stress. Some people I know are taking few than 5 courses and they feel overwhelmed. It also depends on what other things you have going on outside of your classes. Besides working a few hours a week with admissions my classes are really the only thing I have going on. People who work or are involved in research or other projects may find it more difficult to take 5 courses. So, you have to decide for yourself what are your priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment