Thursday, September 19, 2013

Juggling

I've only been in graduate school for a month but if I had to choose one word to describe my experience thus far it would be "juggling". Not only do I continually have to juggle my classes and the coursework that comes with it, but also juggling being a grad assistant, getting to know a new city and trying to create a social life. The past few days I haven't felt like I did much of anything except read. Read a few hundred pages for this class and then a few dozen for that class. Once you finish one article there are always five more waiting to be read afterwards. Then there is the juggling of the all portals and information that is continuously being thrown my way. At orientation current students continually remarked on how many amazing opportunities there are to take advantage of here at Penn. I have definitely found this to be true. There are events, conferences and happy hours happening all the time. Each time I open up one of my now 3 email addresses my inboxes are flooded with new things to read about. Then there is the facebook page to check for events with the other cohorts in my program, canvas: the site where I go to check for announcements from my professors (I didn't mention that I have two canvas sites to check because there is one for GSE and one for two of my other classes which are outside of GSE), there is the twitter page, the scope it site, and of course blogs! Learning to filter and organize all of this fantastic yet sometimes overwhelming sets of information is an adjust but one that I am learning to handle thanks to color coding, folders in my inbox and easy to click bookmarks on my internet homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment